KNOW THE DOS AND DON’TS GUIDING THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ELECTIONS
Ogun State Independent Electoral Commission
Election Management Body. (This is the body that conduct elections).
There are Thirty-Seven (37) EMBS in Nigeria; i.e. INEC and Thirty-Six (36) States Independent Electoral Commissions (SIECS).
The Commission is made up of Six (6) members: The Chairman and five (5) electoral Commissioners.
The Chairman of the Commission.
Beside Bureau of Lands and Survey, Oke -Ilewo, Ibara, Abeokuta.
The Electoral Officer (EO)
State Independent Electoral Commissions (SIECS) conducts Local Government Council Area election in the 36 States while the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) conduct’s the Area Council Elections in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
No, each of the State Independent Electoral Commissions operates independently.
Gender equality for OGSIEC means creating platforms for equal access and participation of men and women in the electoral process.
OGSIEC currently has two (2) female Electoral Commissioners.
A Political Party is a legally registered Association by INEC, which sponsors candidates to contest for Elections.
A manifesto is a written document that contains the political party’s vision of how it intends to govern if it wins an Election. It also explains what the Party stands for and how it intends to improve the welfare of the people.
A Political Party can be identified by its Name, Logo or Symbol.
No. (Section 82, Sub-Section (4), Paragraphs (A-D) of the Electoral Act 2010 as amended, forbids the use of the Coat of Arms or photograph of a person living or dead.)
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The roles of Political Parties are as follows;
- Formulating policy and vision of the Party for the Country;
- Selecting candidates for elective posts;
- Conducting election campaigns;
- Monitoring the performance of their elected representatives
- Guaranteeing the electorate, the right to hold different ideas and the freedom to present those ideas without any interference;
- Mediating the relationship between citizens and their government;
- Providing channels through which people hold their elected party officials accountable for their actions in government.